Wii U - Nintendo's New Home Console!

Nintendo revealed their new home console, the Wii-U, due for release in 2012.

The controller includes a 6.2 inch touch screen, four triggers - two larger and two smaller - microphone, gyroscope, inward facing camera, a Home button, and an accelerometer.

It can be used to play full Wii games when the television isn’t available. It can also be used as a standalone multiplayer games platform. The Wii U controller was also shown in use with Wii games, used to throw shurikens at targets on the television, as a standalone display with Wii Fit and the balance board. It can be used to make video calls with friends, will feature a web browser and the ability to share video content to the television. It can clip on to the existing Wii Zapper for use as a live targetting reticule in shooting games.

Wii U is backwards compatible.

So you won’t just be able to play games but also use the Balance Board and other peripherals.

Iit was confirmed today that a new version of Smash Bros. will be coming to both the 3DS and the newly announced Wii U. Nintendo said: “they will work together in some fashion.”

EA’s highly anticipated first person shooter Battlefield 3 has appeared in an EA roundup trailer during the Wii U conference at E3. As well as Assassins Creed and Batman Arkham City.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword releases this holiday for the Nintendo Wii, Shigeru Miyamoto announced today at E3. The company will also release a special gold Wii controller as part of a promotion. Nintendo additionally said The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords will be available as a free download for the Nintendo DSi this September.

It was a pretty sweet E3 from nintendo, which featured a live orchestral performance of some Zelda songs, as well as the announcement of Zelda Live concerts with new albums to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

To recap the new games at E3 we got confirmation of Tekken, Assassin’s Creed, Darksiders II, Ghost Recon, Dirt, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Metro II, Batman: Arkham City, Luigi’s Mansion 2, Smash Bros and free Zelda Four Swords.

The following were the games revealed for the console:

LEGO City Stories, a new open-world lego game, only on Wii U and 3DS.
Darksiders II, at launch
A new Tekken game
Batman: Arkham City
An Assassin’s Creed game, with multiple screens.
Ghost Recon: Online
Ninja Gaiden 3
Metro: Last Night
Madden and other EA Sports titles.
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Battlefield 3

Note the emphasis on hardcore gamers. Also, an HD Zelda was shown in the video of the controller. I am still standing by my claim in the previous thread, that’s what Retro’s been up to.

That HD Zelda that was on display was just Twilight Princess with enhanced graphics and the second screen item select akin to OoT3D, I somehow doubt that that’s a real game there Zurg.

I think that it is safe to say that Wii U will have the best console version of BF3.

Amazingly, though, Wii U doesn’t have the dumbest name of any console ever, that dishonour goes to the PlayStation Vita.

Also the apparent lack of analogue stick clickers is disheartening, and the controller looks like a bit of a pain in the ass to hold, here’s hoping that I can use the Classic Controller Pro on those games that don’t need the second screen.

I don’t recognize that boss. There was a spider in TP, but that’s NOT it.

Edit: Ubisoft said “Hardcore FPS” but failed to mention title. Farcry 3 anyone?

Go replay Twilight Princess that’s the Temple of Time entrance and the spider is Armogohma.

As for FC3? Yeah, I could see that happening, it was stated as a 2012 release at Ubi’s presser, and post Wii U launch, not launching the game on Wii U would be really dumb.

or for fast reference

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Armogohma

They sure did completely redesign the room then…

yeah, not really sure where the fuck its supposed to be
cuz if its the same battle mechanics youre kinda fucked lolwut

Look closely, it’s the temple entrance, remember this was a tech demo, not a full game.

It was announced in the E3 2011: Nintendo Developer Roundtable that Retro Studios is working with nintendo to make Mario Kart 3D.

Then it’ll be five hundred times more awesome.

Meh, don’t see MK needing Retro’s touch. And it’s 3DS. I won’t have one. :frowning:

So, you can play old standard Wii games on the controller alone? That would be awkward as hell for games that rely heavily on motion control. Imagine playing the Primes on it.

There’s no guarantee you can even play Wii games on the controller screen, also Mario Kart will be out this year so Retro can go do something else one imagines.

The new Wii controller uses the same buttons as the 3DS. Looks like Nintendo did that to cut cost (only have to fab 1 item, not 2).

I read somewhere that the screen on the controller will display 2D graphics only.

It will, it’s also much higher res than the 3DS screen and 2x the size.

I heard its like 900…something by…something else, the same res as the PSV’s screem

Nintendo’s Katsuya Eguchi has said that he’s sure that there will be a Metroid game released for Wii U.

What’s more, he revealed how a new Samus Aran adventure could work on Nintendo’s new console.

“I can’t give you any details now, but I’m sure there will be a new Metroid release making use of the new controller, not just to control Samus and her ship but also to give the player a new source of information,” Eguchi told Kotaku.

The Animal Crossing mastermind added: “Maybe the player is looking at the screen but has the information that they need to defeat the enemy in their hands. You could look through the screen and scan your enemy and find where it’s weakspot is.”

Source: official nintendo magazine.

Of course there will be a new Metroid. This isn’t the N64. :stuck_out_tongue: