So I started to work on my old Metroid map remake.
Remade everything from scratch and I’m still using a 16 color palette I found at Pixeljoint.
Will probably still post the final map here when it’s done.
I haven’t had time to work on my pixel art that much for some years. I’ve been working for a game studio, creating 3D game assets 5-7 days a week.
I have some more stuff and will post that later.
I quite like the juxtaposition between the smoothness of the tech and the roughness of the environment.
Also the screen-door backgrounds are fantastic.
I will post updates from this project from time to time.
WOW! That is some pretty incredible work there. The backgrounds look like they’re made from a more robust pallet of shades – hard to believe they’re all only 2 colors over black! :O_O:
I’m using some dithering on the backgrounds to try to make them more interesting and give them some more depth.
I will try to make different backgrounds for every area and try to give them a bio mechanical feel.
The game took some inspiration from Alien and I’m trying to take that bio mechanical feel from Giger’s art and make pixel art versions that blends in with the rest of the graphics.
I’m trying to spend a few hours on this every day.
Thought that it could be fun to show what the complete map looks like today.
Link to WIP full map
It’s hard to show exactly what I’ve done since the last post so I’m posting the complete map again.
Link to updated WIP
Wow this is amazing stuff as usual! Are you using any type of special software to store/build the map, or is it all hand-copied around? Like for example, if you made a change to the door design, would you then have to go around and replace every single door? How does this work…
It’s all hand copied in Photoshop.
I used some software called repTile or something back when I still used Macs but this is just placed by hand.
If I decide to change the door design I have to change every door on my door layer.
That was why I made the doors before I started on the map itself.
I haven’t posted anything here for a while. I have been working on secret stuff.
What I can show is a thing I’m working on for my show reel.
I’m updating my old Koenigsegg CCX lineart. It’s kind of crappy but the new version is a bit better and has some shading. I will post the car scene from the 2D part of the reel as a GIF when it’s done.
Started to work on this again.
I’ve been playing around some with PICO-8 and this is one of the things I’ve made.
These images are the mockups I made in Photoshop before I started to recreate the graphics in the PICO-8 sprite and tile editor.
Great use of shadows on the space marine.
Not done but it’s getting there.
I’m digging the RGB funk.