A new engine and proposition

@The Illustrative Man: Just curious. Is your busy schedule due to academia? Or did you found a startup? Or something else? Good luck to you though! Hopefully P2D will become organized enough that there’s no friction when you want to stop by and contribute. A pixel a day goes a long way, but if it’s still unclear which sprites are up for grabs (like in the past) then it becomes a question a day and we are wasting your time, haha.

@Megahurtz: While we’re on the topic of resolutions and tiles… In the past we’ve always done P2D resolution = 320/240 pixels = 20x15 tiles = 1 map block. We should definitely open this for discussion because it impacts everything. I think that in today’s day and age we should aim for widescreen (as DestroyerF did in his later demos), and I’m guessing that the 3DS’s resolution of 400x240 would be a good upgrade. (I think you can tell which game I played most recently).

Tile size? Hmm… Well it has to be the same size of the morph ball, like your image shows, or else pipes wouldn’t work. The ZM morph ball to standing Samus ratio is a lot different from P2D’s though: P2D’s morph ball is 16x16 like our tiles and I always thought it’s looked pretty small compared to Samus… But of course this would mean redoing a lot of the morph ball-related graphics that we’ve already made, and every single tile set that we’ve ever made. But honestly I think we’ve been planning to do that anyway, and a lot of the morph ball mechanisms like bomb slots could be stretched out a bit without much trouble. At the same time, many games have done really well with 16x16 tiles (Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Fusion, WarioLand 4) and the original point of Prime 2D is to create Metroid Prime as a classic 2D style Metroid game… What does everyone else think?

Oh by the way here are some Samuses for ya:

And
http://z3.invisionfree.com/MP2D/index.php?..post&p=22006033
Which one do we go with? MetroidHandler/Stover (MH) has full sheets of all suits, and 072 has a full sheet of Varia, and the new ones only have basic idle poses. We’d need our artists to get back on top of this :stuck_out_tongue:

We really need something like Slack, but the free version only lets us have 10,000 archived messages, which is nothing if you consider that this place has 60,000+ posts and these are big posts compared to the instant-messaging we’d be doing over there. Our history is important! Even Workflowy Teams would be crazy-good for organizing ourselves, but since we’re not a business and we can’t legally make any money from this, those options are pretty darn expensive for our slow pace. I should really just ask my brother to whip something up for us… I’ll do it soon. No guarantee that he’ll be on board at all. But if anyone has any other suggestions for team project services within our requirements (free or cheap, secure, backups, private, image/file hosting) that’d be great.

Also a side note: If people want to get started on building maps, regardless of which editor you use, definitely take the sketch approach first, meaning grab a minimalist tileset with 2-3 colors that each have some corners, and just draw out a shape for each room, sort of like sketching with pencil and paper. Like this level of detail (click for source):

The maps topic has some old area maps to use as a starting place (I’ve found that certain rooms need some size adjustment but…). This way we can get a sense of essential gameplay paths and shapes, but when external factors change (like tile size, Samus’s speed and jump height, etc.) it’s not really a bother because your nearly-black-and-white map is essentially unchanged and would be a piece of cake to adjust. Details can wait.