P2d open source engine

So, I never posted this outside our Trello, and I’m not sure exactly where this should go, but this is as good a time and place as any I guess…
This chart is from all the P2D resources I’ve gathered and documented (stretching back to 2004), including graphics, music, and other files.

You can see that historically there’s been an active season (July to January) and an inactive season (February to June), with high peaks right at the end of school breaks (since I think most team members were students).

I’m not totally sure what we can make of it. Times change, jobs change, people change. But I’m still a student, and spring semester is still my craziest time of year, when P2D has to fall to the side if I want to survive. So it at least resembles my own schedule.

It might sound crazy now, since this place has been dead for months, but we actually had quite a burst of activity last July through January, starting with this topic and continuing into Trello and Slack. People made lots of concept art, and they even made working prototypes in both Unity and Unreal. Tons of fresh ideas got tossed around every week. We basically got a new “website”. It seems so distant and ridiculous to imagine now, but it definitely happened, and not even that long ago. Sure, we arguably weren’t making the best decisions together, and of course, there were issues getting things off the ground. But the activity fizzled away in none other than February, the same month it always has…

Maybe that was really the end, and interest just isn’t there anymore. But my hunch is that in a few months maybe we can round people up again and give it a second shot, with our newfound knowledge and experience. I’ll be there at least…